Hi, my name is Carlos Domínguez (he/him)!
Originally trained in psychology in Spain and Mexico, I now work as a Registered Clinical Counsellor and a member of the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors (#19833). My journey in mental health has been one of continuous learning and growth. With three master’s degrees in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Psychoanalysis Applied to Culture, and Education, I’ve been fortunate to acquire a diverse range of skills and knowledge over the years. Throughout my 15-year career, which has taken me across Latin America, Europe, and North America, I’ve had the opportunity to work with individuals from various backgrounds and cultures, enriching my understanding of human experiences.
Drawing from my own journey of acculturation and enriched by my experience as a clinical counsellor across diverse cultural landscapes, I approach my work with a heartfelt understanding of the challenges inherent in navigating cultural transitions. In my work, I’ve had the chance to support individuals facing a wide range of challenges, including personality disorders, addictions, existential crises, identity problems, and sexuality issues. Each client interaction serves as a reminder of the shared human experience, and I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to accompany individuals on their path towards a sense of belonging and empowerment amidst cultural change.
When it comes to therapy, I approach each client with an open heart and a willingness to meet them where they are. My primary therapeutic techniques are psychodynamic psychotherapy and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), which I believe form a solid foundation for healing. I also incorporate complementary techniques such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), mindfulness, and Accelerated Experiential-Dynamic Psychotherapy (AEDP) to provide a holistic approach to treatment. I understand that every person’s journey is unique, and I’m committed to tailoring my approach to best fit the needs and preferences of each individual.
Overall, I consider it a privilege to walk alongside my clients on their journey towards healing and growth. My goal is to help them achieve balance in life by offering support, guidance, and kindness in whatever way I can. I’m continually inspired by the resilience and courage of those I work with, and I’m committed to providing a safe and nurturing space for their healing process.
I invite you to book a free 15-minute consultation to see if I would be a good fit for you. I look forward to connecting with you.
Education & Training
- Master in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, España.
- Master in Psychoanalysis Applied to the culture, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, España.
- Master in Education, Tecnológico de Monterrey, México.
- Bachelor in Psychology/ Universidad de las Americas, Mexico.
- Registered Clinical counsellor with the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors # 19833.
- EMDR Therapist/ EMDR Training Association.
- Acute Stress Syndrome Stabilization Procedure (ASSYST)/ Ignacio Jarero.
- AEDP Therapist/ AEDP Institute, NY.
- Seminar of Psychopathology (2 years) / Pilar de Pablo, Spain.
Seminar of Lacanian theory (2 years) / Jorge Marugan, Spain.
- Seminar child’s Psychosexual development (2 years) / Pilar Ibañez, Mexico.
- Addiction care and treatment/ UBC.
- Counselling and Psychopharma/ Bret A. Moore.