Hi, my name is Nilou.
Hi, my name is Nilou. I am the founder of Lotus Therapy, created with the vision of helping you heal. I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor with the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors (R.C.C.) and hold a graduate degree in Psychology with a specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy. I am also a fully certified EMDR therapist with the EMDR International Association.
I combine various experiential approaches that are grounded in neuroscience such as Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR), Somatic Experiencing (SE), Internal Family Systems (IFS), Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy (AEDP) and Coherence Therapy.
I have been supporting adults and families since 2013. I specialize in the treatment of trauma. A person who has experienced any form of trauma may feel “stuck” in unwanted patterns of life. This is because sometimes the way in which our brains helped us navigate our world and protect us as children may not always be as useful for coping now as an adult. It is usually these adaptations that have developed over time as a survival tool for past traumas that bring a client to therapy. In therapy, we would explore defensive structures and patterns that are no longer serving you.
It is my intention as a counsellor to create safety by focusing on the therapeutic relationship, being empathetic, non-judgemental and inclusive. I see each client as a whole person and believe that we are more than just what brings us to therapy. I believe that growth and change happen naturally under the right circumstances and that the wisdom of our bodies, our emotions, and the deeper aspects of ourselves lead us to the deeper truth of our being.
I welcome diversity and honor individuality. I am LGBTQIA+ allied and feel passionate about providing a safe and nurturing environment for my clients that come to therapy belonging to this community.
I am honored that you are considering including me in your healing journey.
Education & Training
- Registered Clinical Counsellor with the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors (#15289)
- MSc in Clinical Psychology with a specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy – Shahid Beheshti University
- Somatic Experiencing® with Abi Blakeslee (Intermediate level)
- AEDP Immersion training with Diana Fosha
- Fully Certified Eye Movement Reprocessing and Desensitization Therapist (EMDR) & Advanced EMDR training:
- Comprehensive EMDR training – Compassion Works
- EMDR treatment planning with survivors of complex, early neglect and abuse with Andrew Leeds
- Treating Dissociative Disorders with EMDR: The Progressive Approach, EMDR Therapy for Suicidal Clients and Self-harming Behaviors, Working with Hostile Voices and Parts of the Personality in Complex Trauma and Dissociative Disorders with Dolores Mosquera
- IFS-informed EMDR-Bruce Hersey
- EMDR consultations with Andrew Leeds
- The EMDR Flash Technique – Dr. Manfield
- Indigenous Cultural Safety – Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)
- DBT Skills with Marsha Linehan
- Emotionally Focused Externship Training – Vancouver Couple and Family Institute
- Essentials of CBT, CBT for Anxiety and Depression, CBT for Personality Disorders – Beck Institute
- IFS Circle-IFS Institute
- Emotion-Focused Family Therapy – Mental Health Foundations
- Coherence Therapy Facilitating Transformational Change Through Memory Reconsolidation- Coherence Psychology Institute
- Integrating Experiential Psychotherapies- Dr. Tori Olds