Hello, my name is Lisa (She/her)
I have a Master of Arts degree in Counselling Psychology. I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor (#2585) and an Approved Clinical Supervisor with the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors. The foundation of my clinical work stems from trauma-informed practice, understanding that all clients are unique and that care must be tailored to each situation. Safety is of utmost importance when embarking on this journey.
My therapeutic style is eclectic, adjusting techniques to the needs of each client and to each session. I am trained in a variety of modalities, including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Exposure Response Prevention(ERP), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing(EMDR), Ego State Therapy, and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction. I adopt a person-centered approach, and understand the impact attachment has on the forming of our self and our relationships.
I specialize in individual and family work, providing counselling to teens, adults, and families of any composition. I also provide clinical supervision to both practicing and intern therapists.
Through both my personal and professional experience, I can help you address childhood trauma, interpersonal violence, suicidality, self-harm, anxiety, depression, parenting issues, school motivation, stress, dissociation, BPD and ADHD. I have gained the skills needed to reach difficult youth, to help move individuals past their defenses, and to ease those approaching counselling with reservation. I understand that the greatest indicator of success lies in creating safe and trusting relationships with clients, and I base my therapeutic work on the relationship we establish together.
With over 20 years of experience working in multifaceted settings, I have witnessed the impact any amount of trauma can have on a person and on their family system. It is through this experience that I have come to understand that a person needs to feel safe, secure, and validated as a human being in order to heal and move forward. Once healing begins, a powerful journey can unfold before you. We will collaborate to develop goals to achieve during your therapeutic journey. Together we will gain insight into triggers and patterns, discover new ways of thinking, feeling, and relating, and practice new and effective coping strategies to make lasting change.
Education & Training
- Registered Clinical Counsellor with the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors #2585
- Approved Clinical Supervisor with the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors
- MA in Counselling Psychology from Adler University
- Post Graduate Diploma in Guidance Studies from the University of British Columbia
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) basic training with Marshall Wilinsky
- EMDR for Children and Youth with Ricky Greenwall
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) training with the Ministry of Child and Family Development
- Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) for OCD treatment, Becky Beaton-York, PhD
- CBT for Depression and Suicide, with Christine Padesky
- Suicide Risk Assessment and Intervention in Clinical Practice, Arizona Trauma Institute
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy with Mark Lau
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for Teens with Gina Beigel
- Forward-Facing Trauma Therapy with the Forward-Facing Institute
- Attachment and Intimate Violence, Arizona Trauma Institute
- Domestic Violence Safety Planning with the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
- Core Emotion Focused Family Therapy, with Natasha Files
- Advanced Training in Collaborative Problem Solving with Dr. Ross Greene
- Certified Family Trauma Professional with Dr. Robert Rhoton
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy with the Vancouver CBT Training Centre
Motivational Interviewing with Virginia Lundy
- Mental Illness and Development Disabilities Training with Developmental Disabilities Mental Health Team
- Foundations in Collaborative Conflict Resolution with the Justice Institute of British Columbia.
- Diagnoses and Assessment of Personality Disorders, Cognitive Behavioural Institute
- Working with high conflict families, Cognitive Behavioural Institute
- Suicidality in Youth, Prevention and Assessment, Cognitive Behavioural Institute
- Integrating Experiential Psychotherapies- Dr. Tori Olds
- Foundations of Clinical Supervision – University of Ottawa
- Using EMDR with Fragmented Clients: A Protocol for Overcoming Self-Alienation – Janina Fischer PhD
- EMDR Therapy for Complex PTSD: An Integrative Approach to Treating Clients – Arielle Schwartz PhD
- Competency-Based Clinical Supervision – Carol Fasbender, PhD
- Easy Ego State Interventions – Robin Shapiro MSW, LICSW
- Deeper Ego State Interventions, an Advanced Course – Robin Shapiro MSW, LICSW
- Ego State Therapy Interventions to Prepare Dissociative Clients for EMDR – Lynn James Shirley & Jean Schmidt, MA
- EMDR Therapy with Eating Disorders, Dalene Foster, PhD
- Clinical Trauma Professional Certification, International Association of Trauma Professionals