Hello, my name is Lisa (She/her)
I have a Master of Arts degree in Counselling Psychology. I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor (#2585) and an Approved Clinical Supervisor with the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors. The foundation of my clinical work stems from a trauma informed practice, understanding that all clients are unique and that care must be tailored to each situation. Safety is of utmost importance when embarking on this journey.
My therapeutic style is eclectic, adjusting techniques to the needs of each client and to each session. I am trained in a variety of modalities, including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Exposure Response Prevention(ERP), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing(EMDR), and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction for Teens(MBSR-T). I adopt a person-centered approach, and understand the role attachment has on the forming of our self.
I specialize in individual and family work, providing counselling to teens, adults, and families of any composition.
Through both my personal and professional experiences, I am able to work with issues such as trauma and loss, suicidality, self-harm, anxiety, depression, ADHD, school motivation, stress, childhood abuse, domestic violence, and PTSD. I have gained the knowledge and skills necessary to reach difficult youth and those individuals approaching counselling with reservation. I understand that the greatest indicator of success lies in creating safe and trusting relationships with clients, and I base my therapeutic work on the relationship we establish together.
With over 20 years of experience working in multifaceted settings, I have witnessed the impact any amount of trauma can have on a person and on their family system. It is through this experience that I have come to understand that a person needs to feel safe, secure, and validated as a human being in order to heal and move forward. Once healing begins, a powerful journey can unfold before you. We will collaborate to develop goals to achieve during your therapeutic journey. Together we will gain insight into triggers and patterns, discover new ways of thinking, feeling, and relating, and practice new and effective coping strategies to make lasting change.
Education & Training
- Registered Clinical Counsellor with the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors #2585
- Approved Clinical Supervisor with the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors
- MA in Counselling Psychology from Adler University
- Post Graduate Diploma in Guidance Studies from the University of British Columbia
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) basic training with Marshall Wilinsky
- EMDR for Children and Youth with Ricky Greenwall
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) training with the Ministry of Child and Family Development
- Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) for OCD treatment, Becky Beaton-York, PhD
- Clinical Trauma Professional Certification,
- International Association of Trauma Professionals
- Certified Family Trauma Professional with Dr. Robert Rhoton
- CBT for Depression and Suicide, with Christine Padesky
- Suicide Risk Assessment and Intervention in Clinical Practice, Arizona Trauma Institute
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy with Mark Lau
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for Teens with Gina Beigel
- Forward-Facing Trauma Therapy with the Forward-Facing Institute
- Attachment and Intimate Violence, Arizona Trauma Institute
- Domestic Violence Safety Planning with the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
- Core Emotion Focused Family Therapy, with Natasha Files
- Advanced Training in Collaborative Problem Solving with Dr. Ross Greene
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy with the Vancouver CBT Training Centre
- Motivational Interviewing with Virginia Lundy
- Mental Illness and Development Disabilities Training with Developmental Disabilities Mental Health Team
- Foundations in Collaborative Conflict Resolution with the Justice Institute of British Columbia.
- Diagnoses and Assessment of Personality Disorders, Cognitive Behavioural Institute
- Working with high conflict families, Cognitive Behavioural Institute
- Suicidality in Youth, Prevention and Assessment, Cognitive Behavioural Institute